Effective April 1, 2022 fully vaccinated travelers will no longer need to provide a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter Canada by air, land or water. All travelers continue to be required to submit their mandatory information in ArriveCAN before their arrival in Canada.

Canada does not have a visa office in every country so it is important that delegates visit the website of the Canadian visa office responsible for processing their visa application. Information is available on the website on how to submit a visa application and the documentation required.

It is recommended you start your visa application at least 16 weeks before the event you wish to attend. Visa invitation letters will only be issued to attendees who have paid their registration fee in full. In the case of payment not made with a credit card, the Secretariat needs to verify the registration payment has been received before providing a letter. 

As of November 10, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA.

If you travel by land or sea, you do not need an eTA. However, you must always travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

  • To find out if you require an eTA or visa to travel to Canada click here and select your country of origin
  • For eTA Exemptionsclick here.
  • eTA applications costs $7.00 CAD and is paid after you complete the ETA form. Most applications are approved within minutes.

All delegates are advised to obtain and submit an official Letter of Invitation from the congress organizers to help facilitate the immigration process. Please note that Letters of Invitation are only issued to registered and paid/approved delegates. If you have registered and paid, but have not received your invitation letter, please contact the OMCOS secretariat at [email protected] 

You can exchange your currency for Canadian dollars at authorized currency exchange counters in Vancouver and at the airport. You can also exchange currency at banks and financial institutions across British Columbia. To approximately calculate your exchange rate, try the Bank of Canada Daily Currency Converter.

Emergency Number
Fire, Police, Medical, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) can all be reached by dialing 911.

Languages Spoken

Vancouver is located on Canada’s West Coast, in the province of beautiful British Columbia.

In Canada, power plugs and sockets are of type A and B. The standard voltage is 120 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz.

Vancouver – a safe city in a safe country. The World Economic Forum’s Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index Report ranked Canada as the 7th safest country and under Canada’s Crime Severity Index.

Time Zone
Vancouver is on Pacific Standard Time (GMT/UTC -8 hours)

Tipping and Gratuity
Tipping is standard practice in Vancouver and across Canada with a standard minimum tip of 15% for servers in restaurants, bars and other establishments. Tips can also be given to drivers, tour guides, spa therapists, hairdressers, bartenders, hotel attendants, etc., at your discretion.

Vancouver has a moderate oceanic climate and its summer months are typically dry, often resulting in moderate drought conditions, usually in July and August. In contrast, the rest of the year is rainy, especially between October and March.Check current Vancouver weather conditions.

We recommend that delegates travelling with children contact Nannies on Call if in need of babysitting service. Nannies on Call can be contacted by telephone at 1-877-214-2828 or online. Nannies can be booked up to one month in advance.